Thursday, July 14, 2011

Your name is what...?

I was commenting on a friend's status recently, and I saw that another person had commented as well. A person by the name of Everlasting Gobstopper. Um...really?? I have noticed this trend. People put incredibly odd things in place of their name. But why? I know it was big on Myspace, to put weird things instead of your name as your "headline". However, on FB, it specifically asks for your first and last name when you sign up. So, what posses a person to put things like Everlasting Gobstopper,Little Bit, or K Nasty? Is your actual name too boring? Are you trying to remain incognito? Is it a witness protection thing? If it is, you might want to remove the 75 pictures of yourself, in the bathroom, making kissy face. Flashing a peace sign. This brings me to my next issue. Is it just me, or have young ladies become quite narcissistic these day? They will have quite literally (and I really DO mean literally Holly) hundreds of pictures of themselves, that they took, themselves. Usually in the bathroom. With almost always the same pose. Some have the kissy face/peace sign combo, others prefer the pout. Some do the half smile, look off to the side pose, while others do the "I'm too cool to smile" look. Now, of course, there is nothing wrong with having pictures of yourself. How else will people know that you really are you?  If you just got a haircut/color, or recently lost weight, or have a baby bump to show off, by all means, take the picture and post it! However, you don't need 17 albums that are all yourself, in the bathroom mirror. Also, if you are the beach, then bikini pictures are okay, and understandable. But a picture of yourself in a bikini, in the mirror, is just kinda silly. Now maybe I'm just old. I never got into the taking pictures of myself trend. I feel weird doing it, and I don't like having a ton of pictures of myself on my FB. It makes me feel vain. At one point I actually had none at all. Then my sister called to inform me that I needed to add some, so when my niece Lilliana asked to see my pictures, I was actually in some! So, I added a few. However, when I want a picture of myself, I hand the camera to whomever is nearby, and have THEM take the picture. If you like the way it looks when you take the picture of yourself, then by all means, carry on. But you don't need to add every single picture that you have ever taken of yourself to FB. That is what sites like Photobucket and Snapfish are for ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they just have really cool parents that named them "Everlasting Gobstopper". Or parents that watched "Where the Heart Is" too many times... If you were cooler you would have little "Cow Tipper"...

    ReplyDelete